- BALLICHULISH, a quoad sacra parish, in the parish of Kilmalie, partly in the district and county of Argyll, and partly in the county of Inverness, 11 miles (S. by W.) from Fort-William; containing 1235 inhabitants. The village of Ballichulish is situated on the south shore of Loch Leven, a branch of Loch Linnhe, and there is a ferry to the opposite coast, not far from it; the prospect is of the most imposing character, embracing lofty mountains and extensive lakes, relieved by woods and pastures, and other interesting features. The parish consists of two distinct districts, separated from each other by Loch Linnhe, with a church in each district. The district connected with the church at Ballichulish, in Invernesshire, is 17 miles by 7, or 119 square miles, in extent; that connected with the church at Ardgower, in Argyllshire, is 14 miles by 6, or 84 square miles, in extent, making a total of 203 square miles. The churches were built in June 1829, and are about four miles apart; that of Ballichulish has 300 sittings, and the church of Ardgower, 210, and public worship is performed once a fortnight in each. An Episcopalian clergyman officiates every Sunday, in a chapel in the parish of Appin, within three miles of Ballichulish church; and a Roman Catholic priest officiates once in three weeks, at Ballichulish slate quarry, likewise in Appin parish, and where there is also an Establishment chapel. A place of worship in connexion with the Free Church has been erected.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Lismore and Appin — LISMORE and APPIN, a parish, in the district of Lorn, county of Argyll; containing, with the late quoad sacra parish of Duror, 4193 inhabitants, of whom 1399 are in Lismore, and 1102 in Appin, the former 7 miles (N. N. W.), and the latter 10… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Kilmalie — KILMALIE, a parish, partly in the district and county of Argyll, and partly in the county of Inverness; containing, with the village of Fort William, and the quoad sacra district of Ballichulish, 5397 inhabitants, of whom 2741 are in the… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Ardgower — ARDGOWER. See Ballichulish … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Argyllshire — ARGYLLSHIRE, a maritime county, in the south west of Scotland, bounded on the north by Invernessshire; on the east, by the counties of Inverness, Perth, and Dumbarton; and on the south and west, by the Atlantic Ocean. It lies between 55° 21… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Balchullish — BALCHULLISH. See Ballichulish … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Duror — DUROR, lately a quoad sacra district, in the parish of Lismore and Appin, district of Lorn, county of Argyll, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from Appin; containing 1692 inhabitants. Duror is situated on an arm of the sea, called the Linnhe loch, into… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Findhorn — FINDHORN, a burgh and sea port town, in the parish of Kinloss, county of Elgin, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Forres; containing 806 inhabitants. This place, the name of which signifies the mouth of the Erne, stands on the northern boundary of the… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Glencoe — GLENCOE, a district, in the parish of Lismore and Appin, district of Lorn, county of Argyll, 17 miles (N. E. by E.) from Appin. This singularly wild and celebrated Highland vale is situated nearly at the head of an arm of the sea called Loch… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland